National Diaspora Policy
In April 2018, GoL requested the IOM to support its initiative to engage with the Basotho Diaspora, via the Diaspora outreach forums in South Africa, paving the way to the development of the National Diaspora Policy for Lesotho.
The broader migration and development efforts in Lesotho have been led by a multi-stakeholder consultative framework, the National Consultative Committee on Migration (NCC), which has supported the development process of National Migration and Development Policies and other initiatives, including the following:
• The Implementation Framework for the Sequenced Short-Term Return Programme for Basotho Health Professionals in the Diaspora;
• Remittances Framework Study in Lesotho;
• Mainstreaming Migration into National Development Plans;
• Laying the Groundwork for Engaging the Basotho Diaspora for National Development;
• Formulating a National Strategy on the Reintegration of Returning Basotho Migrants;
• Supporting the drafting process of Labor migration management policy.