The Lesotho COVID-19 Socio-Economic Response Plan has been developed under the leadership of the Resident Coordinator, with support from UNDP as technical lead, and in collaboration with the Lesotho UN Country Team (UNCT), including resident and non-resident agencies. International Financial Institutions (IFIs), such as the IMF, World Bank and African Development Bank (AfDB), have also contributed to the development of the response plan, so as to harness every institutions’ comparative advantage.
The Lesotho COVID-19 Socio-Economic Response Plan is anchored on the UNDAF (2019 - 2023), to the extent that it is responsive to COVID-19, and the National COVID-19 Response Integrated Plan 2020. It outlines 18 outputs, with a timeframe of 0-36 months, a budget of US$ 67.6 million and a financing shortfall of US$ 42.6 million. To date, US$ 9.4 million has been reprogrammed by the UN in Lesotho to support the Kingdom of Lesotho’s COVID-19 response and recovery. It is intended to be a relatively flexible framework that may be adjusted as the pandemic evolves or as more information regarding the impact of the pandemic becomes available.
Finally, the Socio-Economic Response Plan intends to remain fully cognisant of the Kingdom of Lesotho’s development agenda. Postponing programmes and reprogramming resources severely risks reducing the Government of Lesotho’s capacity to achieve its medium- to long-term agenda, including SDG targets. Similarly, a lack of coordination with IFIs risks duplication of programmes and wastage of financial resources.
Therefore, the Lesotho COVID-19 Socio-Economic Response Plan has been designed to complement established development plans, including:
• National Strategic Development Plan II (NSDP II), 2018/19 – 2022/23
• The National Economic Recovery Plan (Ministry of Development Planning, Lesotho, in progress)
• African Union Agenda 2063 • United Nations Development Assistance Framework for Lesotho 2019-2023
• Lesotho Preparedness and Response Plan (Ministry of Health Lesotho)
• The National COVID-19 Response Integrated Plan 2020
• The National COVID-19 Education Sector Response Plan 2020
• Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan (WHO)
• Lesotho COVID-19 Emergency Preparedness and Response Project (World Bank)